Netflix is a global service provider of streaming movies and TV series. They are one of the biggest in the market with more than 75 Million subscribers over 190 countries. It was founded in 1997 and since 2007, they are providing streaming service. They now produce and make new TV shows; some of them have gained popularity. House of Cards, Narcos and Orange is new Black are few of them.
Even though it is one of the biggest movie stream service providers, there are a lot of things, which many people don’t know about Netflix and this is exactly what we are going to tell you here.
15 Netflix Facts That you probably Didn’t Know
1.It is said that the idea of Netflix came into CEO’s (Reed Hasting) mind after he was charged with $40 for a late copy of Apollo 13. After that, he thought of creating something more logical than getting fined every time you got late to submit VHS. Sometimes your Billion Dollar idea is hiding behind late fees.
2. This may come to you as surprised but Netflix is actually older than Google, yes we have not interchanges the companies. Netflix subscription service started in 1997 and surprise surprise Larry Page and Sergey Brin founded Google in 1998.
3. Blockbuster LLC, one of the major home movie rental supplier and streaming service in the United States of America had many chances to buy Netflix but they turned down every time. Initially, $50 Million were the price for Netflix but Blockbuster didn’t go for it. Well to update you, Netflix is now worth $20 Billion. Guess you got the last laugh.
4. Working in Netflix is serious business and the employers of the Netflix take this very seriously. Employees are sworn to secrecy to keep the DVD warehouse location a secret. So if you can keep the information to yourself only then apply for a job in Netflix. This is to save their warehouse from being robbed by extra enthusiast movie lovers. Inspectors in Netflix have to sort 650 DVD per hour that makes 5,200 DVD’s per day.
5. But working in Netflix is one amazing job. Apart from watching a lot of movies and TV series you can talk as many as vacation days you want, they won’t say a word. According to Joris Evers (Netflix Spokesperson), “It’s about freedom and responsibility and treating people like adults.” Working with Netflix is one of the most wanted jobs in the United States of America. Netflix pays you to stay a home and watch their content and tag the content with a word from a pool of words of 1000 words. This is how they improve their recommendation process. Well, this sound a great job.
6. If you ever try to search on Netflix then you know that the categories on Netflix are insane. According to a stat, there are 76,897 different categories on Netflix from which you can choose while searching. Some of the categories are really wired, like “Dark Canadian Thrillers” and “Cool Mustaches”. They also mess up with categories on April Fool’s day by naming the categories like “Movies That Are in English But Still Require Subtitles”.
7. According to statistics, an average Netflix user streams TV series or Movies for around 90 minutes a day. Well if you are subscribed to their service then you know how hard it is to leave Netflix.
8. Netflix is one of the highest growing Online Movie streaming services in the world; The Company has now over 75 Million subscribers from over 190 countries. The financial growth of Netflix is also phenomenal; the Revenue of Netflix for the year 2015 was $6.7Billion.
9. Netflix got 75 Million subscribers and an average subscriber spends almost 90 minutes, well this is big and according to number crunchers, Netflix user streams 100 Million hours of content every day. Yes, Everyday. 100 Million hours is 11,408 years. No kidding that Netflix is earning soo much.
10. Till Feb. 2015, Netflix has produced 66 original programs. They are divided into Thriller, Drama, Documentary and comedy shows. Netflix original “House of Cards” has won many awards and it’s also one of the favorites of the critics. Narcos is also their original program that they have created with perfection.
11. In the United States of America, Netflix has outranked all the Cable TV’s. This may sound crazy but it is true, no other cable TV network got more subscribers than Netflix. As of January 2015, Netflix got 57.4 million unique Netflix subscribers. Netflix wins the race by 33 Million subscribers; no one is even close to them.
12. The Most watched TV series on Netflix is “Breaking Bad”, none of their original shows could stop Breaking Bad. This crime drama series has taken the world by a storm but even after it ends, it is one of the most watched and most loved TV show. Bryan Cranston who played Walter White has become a legend in movie fanatics.
13. Back in 2006 Netflix organized a “Million Dollar Contest”, the challenge was to create a perfect video content recommendation algorithm. The contestants had to perfectly categories the movie “Napoleon Dynamite”, it is due to the fact that “Napoleon Dynamite” is one of the hardest movies to recommend based on the previous user like and dislike ratio.
14. In 2013 when Netflix original series “House of Cards” won the “Outstanding Directing for a Drama”, it was the very first web-only series to win an award at Emmy. This changed the way we watch TV forever. Before that online streaming was only was old shows, comedy sketch, and cat videos but Netflix has flipped it upside down. Now people know that original content can come out of Internet.
15. Have you ever wondered about the shape of Netflix Envelopes, if not then let me tell you that Netflix uses “Rectangular” envelopes not square. You must be wondering why does this even matter. Well, United States Postal Service charge more money for Square envelopes and when you are such a big service the money is also big. Netflix was spending $225 Million more due to Square envelopes and to save move they started using “Rectangular Envelopes”.