Advil is a popular OTC medication that relieves pain in no time. We, human are highly intolerable to any kind of pain. It’s the reason most of our households have Advil in the medicine cabinet. As every coin has 2 sides, this great pain reliever has its own dark side too. I can give you the answer for your query, how long does Advil lost in just one or two words. But as it is going to help you in all the years to come, I feel like educating you on the basic stuff is inevitable. It’s not good to put anything to your system without prior knowledge. So I strongly recommend you to read this post to the end without skipping any part.Read on.
What Is Advil?
Advil is a drug or Over The Counter (OTC) medication which is used in treating pain caused by minor aches like toothaches, headache, menstrual cramps, arthritis, muscle pain, back pain, fever and injuries. Several millions of people holds it in their emergency kits in the past 25 years.
How Advil Is Different From Other Pain Relievers?
The pain relieving ingredient found in Advil is ibuprofen. It falls under the class of drugs known as NSAID (Non Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs). It does not include an active ingredient called acetaminophen that is widely found in pain relieving drugs such as Tylenol. Head to head clinical studies conducted among the patients has revealed that taking Advil as directed delivers the fast and effective results.
How Soon Does Advil Start To Work ?
As with any other medication, the amount of time it takes to start delivering the results is based on how fast the body absorbs. By nature, Advil is absorbed quickly, and so it starts to effect within an hour. It is works by suppressing the pain causing hormones where it is needed. Take Advil when your pain starts slowly.
How Long Does Advil Last?
How Long Does Advil Work ?” box_color=”#89fec4″ title_color=”#626262″ class=””]Depending on the dosage, pain relief provided by Advil can last up 4 to 6 hours. However, if you take low doses (200 mg to 400 mg), it can be repeated every 4 to 5 hours. For best results, it is not recommended to exceed the daily dosage limit of 1000 mg/per day
How Much Is Too Much?
Taking any medication (including the doctor prescribed) more than the recommended dose will cause serious side effects and Advil is of no exception. To maximize benefit and minimize risk, use Advil responsibly. Make sure to limit the Advil intake to the maximum of 1000 mg per day. If your doctor prescribes any individual dosage level, follow it and ignore the label recommendation. If you are unsure of dosage level, talk with your doctor or pharmacist.
How To Use Advil?
- Advil can be taken orally with a full glass of water (8 oz/240 mL). You can take Advil with or without food. If it seems to upset your stomach, take it with food. However taking this way will not reduce the risk of getting stomach or bowel problems.
- If you are taking Advil regularly and missed to take your last dose, take the next dose as quickly as you can. If you reach the next dosage time, do not compensate the missed one. Just get back to your regular schedule and take the regular dose. Never take 2 Advil Doses At Once
- As many brands produce Advil and they don’t follow any standard dosage levels, it is suggested to read the label before you take.
- If Advil is prescribed by your physician, use it as per his instructions.
- If you are taking it without a prescription, check the “Medication Guide” comes along with Advil. Read this patient information sheet carefully. Read it line by line. Read this sheet when every time you get Advil refilled.
Advil is manufactured by various brands in 3 popular forms
- Suspension form (for children use)
How long does Advil stay in your system is purely depending on your body’s absorption and dosage level. But remember taking the excess than what is needed will cause adverse effects. However, check with the label once before you take Advil. You can do a cross-reference with by clicking here.
Proper Storage Recommendation To Store Advil
So we all have Advil in our medicine cabinets but do we store it in a proper way? The ideal temperature to store Advil lies between 68 to 77 Degrees. Keep Advil from the reach of pets and children. Store it in a place that is protected from light, heat and moisture.
Who Should Stay Away From Advil?
1) Patients who had or going to have the heart bypass surgery.
– When used for a longer period, it may cause life-threatening blood circulation problems.
2) Pregnant and breastfeeding women.
– Advil can harm the fetus, it is not recommended to the pregnant women who are in their last 3 months of labor. And breastfeeding women. If you suspect you are pregnant or just gave a birth to your newborn ,check with your doctor and inquire how much taking Advil is safe to you and your baby.
3) Elderly Patients
4) People who are allergic to NSAID.
Possible Side Effects
All medicines can trigger side effects. Usually the people who take Advil experience no side effects or minor side effects. Following are some of the most common side effects caused by Advil. In general, the side effect caused by Advil should disappear within few hours. If it persist any longer or become bothersome, check with your doctor immediately.
- Stomach ulcers & bleeding
- Back pain
- Black tarry stools
- Dizziness or Drowsiness
- Sore throat
- Unusual weight gain
- Vomit / headache / fever /nausea
Taking Advil in beyond the recommended dose will cause serious issues. So never go overboard with the thought of achieving the speedy relief.
Caution ” box_color=”#ff8080″ title_color=”#000000″ class=””]
Alcohol consumption with Advil will worsen the drowsiness. Hence, it’s safe to not to drive until the effects caused by Advil gets over.
Every individual is unique so watch out how long does Advil last in your system before doing any kind of risky unsafe tasks.
Regardless of the brand that produce Advil, you should be able to see the name of ibuprofen printed on its label. If you don’t see any of such info, clarify it with the pharmacist or doctor. Do not take aspirin with any other medication like aspirin. Take it only if your doctor to do so.
When OVERDOSE Is Suspected…
If you are U.S resident and experience the side effects due to overdose, approach ” the American Association of Poison Control Centers” by calling the help line 1-800-222-1222 or call your nearest emergency room immediately.
Side effects that can occur due to overdose include
- Decreased urination
- Loss of consciousness
- Severe Stomach Pain
- Trouble in breathing
- Severe vomiting that appear like coffee grounds
Can You Give Advil To Dogs?” box_color=”#89fec4″ title_color=”#000000″ class=””]No, You can’t. As the OTC medication like Advil is designed and intended to treat the human ailments, it shouldn’t be given to our canine companions. iBuprofen found in Advil is highly toxic to dogs that can cause severe damages to our dog’s heart, kidneys and liver.
Hope the information shared on how long does Advil last is useful. As this pain reliever is used by several millions of people, sharing this post may someone from experiencing its dark side. So spare some of your seconds and spread the word with the people you care.