What Is Dandruff?
Dandruff is an instantly emerging obstacle for the entire age troop. Just like our all other body parts, our scalp sheds out its dead cells in the form of white flakes. So when it sheds a way too much of dead cells, it appears prominently from your head. This is what we call us dandruff. In this articles we will see all the home remedies for dandruff.
What Causes Dandruff?
People often thinks dry scalp as the major cause for developing dandruff. Flaking caused by dry scalp is generally small and are not very prominent. Real culprit behind those white flakes is tiny fungus known as malassezia globosa which needs oil to grow. Recent researches have shown that many people with dandruff naturally have oily skin.
Prominent causes of dandruff are
- Excess oil segregation in the scalp
- Dry scalp
Other causes include
- Sebum seepage,
- Presets of micro-organisms particularly yeast-like fungus,
- Allergy sensation,
- ill-advised scrubbing
- Obsessive shampooing
- Unhealthy Diet
- Irregular Combing
- Health issues like Seborrheic dermatitis, Eczema and Parkinson’s disease
When to See a Dermatologist?
Dandruff is not a serious health condition and so these are fully treatable with the home remedies listed here. When it goes uncontrollable to these remedies, it may be an alarm of some other serious health conditions. In such cases I suggest you to consult your dermatologist.
Why Home Remedies?
Commercial products available at our drug stores might be effective to wipe off your dandruff flakes within a fort night but all of those quick remedies can only provide a temporary solution. So here I am going to teach you on how get to get rid of dandruff permanently through the natural remedies and how to prevent it from recurring. I have listed some of the proven home remedies to treat this condition read on.
How To Get Rid Of Dandruff Fast
Part 1: Top 20 Proven Home Remedies To Get Rid Of Dandruff Fast
I understand, it’s completely natural to ask how to get rid of dandruff fast especially when you have those snowflakes falling from your head. In this fast furious world, we want everything to get done as quickly as possible. But the fact is natural remedies always take some time to sort out the issues. Solution provided will be safe and permanent though. So follow the suggested home remedies patiently and enjoy the perk of nature’s gifts.
No 1 : Yogurt For A Clean And Glossy Hair
Without any question, yogurt can create wonders when it’s applied on your hair as a deep conditioner. Hidden truth is, it can also act as the best home remedy to treat the severe dandruff conditions too.
Rub plain yogurt on your scalp. Let it dry for 10 to 15 minutes and wash it off with the mild shampoo.
No 2: Aspirin Works
Aspirin is great pain killer. Everyone knows this. But do you ask what it has to do with your question of “How To get rid of dandruff fast? ” Let me tell you. “Salicylate”, an ingredient found in Aspirin is a very effective agent to fight off your dandruff. You can find this ingredient in all antidandruff shampoos.
Take 2 aspirin and make a fine powder out of it. Mix it well with your regular shampoo whatever it is. Apply it on your hair and allow it to work for 3 minutes. Rinse off your hair thoroughly so that you won’t feel the smell of pill.
No 3: Baking Soda Magic
Baking soda sitting on your kitchen shelf is one of the best home remedies to get rid of dandruff. When it’s applied it takes off the dirt and oil from your scalp thus helping you to maintain a dandruff free healthy scalp. Here is the procedure that tells you how to get rid of dandruff fast using baking soda.
- Take 1 or 2 tbsp of baking soda and mix it with the required amount of Luke warm water.
- Massage your scalp with this fine paste for a minute or 2.
- Leave it there for few seconds and rinse off.
- To balance the high PH level of baking soda, rinse your hair with Apple Cider Vinegar followed by Baking soda hair wash.
- Take few drops of ACV into a mug, mix it well and rinse off your hair with this ACV mix. This will help reduce your hair fall amazingly.
- To attain a beautiful looking, dandruff free hair, repeat this procedure regularly for about 2 weeks.
You can also mix 1 or 2 tbsp of baking soda with your regular shampoo for hair wash.
No 4: Lemon Hair Wash
Lemon is a beneficial and fabulous fruit that has been used for long decades in treating the acne and dandruff. It lightens the prime syndrome like itchy scalp. Since it has citric acid, it is suggestible to avoid the direct applications.
- Boil four peels of lemon about 20 minutes in four cups of water
- Let it cool down completely and wash your hair with this lemon water.
- Repeating this remedy for twice a week help you get a glossy manageable hair.
No 5: Vinegar
Vinegar treatment is a quiet efficient way to get away from dandruff.
- Mix vinegar and water in 1:3 ratio
- Keep your eyes closed and massage your scalp with this mixture. Wrap your hair with let it sit over there for 20 mins to 1 hour.
- Wash off this mixture completely.
- Repeat this remedy regularly for 1 week. It will hopefully make your scalp dandruff free.
- After a week you can repeat this once a week in precautionary manner.
No 6: Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple Cider Vinegar has many uses from foods preservation to treating many medical ailments.
Since ACV has great anti-inflammatory & anti-bacterial properties, it can act as the perfect home remedy in treating the causes associated with dandruff.
Most of the people who have used ACV for dandruff relief have attained quick and effective results with their daily usage. Based on the severity of symptoms dandruff may go away from few days to few weeks.
It is recommended to use an undiluted version of ACV instead of non-organic varieties.
How to get rid of dandruff permanently using ACV?
Take ACV and cold water in the ration 1:1. Massage your scalp with this mixture once a week. This will keep the excess oil segregation nasty bacteria out of your way.
Mix the ACV with your shampoo and apply it on your scalp. Leave the shampoo for 3 to 4 minutes on your scalp. Rinse off with Luke warm water. Repeat this remedy for a week. Soon you can realize the disappearance of those itchy white flakes.
If your scalp continuously sheds the white flakes excessively, try applying ACV directly on to your scalp and massage it for 5 minutes on a daily basis. Repeating this remedy for a week, destroys the fungus called malassezia globosa which gets fat with the excess oil from your scalp.
No 7: Egg
Already you must have heard handful of remedies using egg yolks for skin and hair. This one is just another addition.
- Beat 2 eggs along with the yolks. Apply it on your scalp.
- Cover your hair with the plastic wrapper otherwise you will mess up with the floor and cloth around you.
- After an hour, take the wrapper out and Wash it off thoroughly with the mild shampoo.
This will result in a shiny dandruff free hair.
No 8: Common Salt
You may ask how do you get rid of dandruff using the common salt. It may be hard to believe at a first shot but the truth is common salt has the ability to bring a permanent solution to your dandruff issues.
- Take little amount of salt in your hands and rub it on your scalp gently.
- Let the salt work on your hair for half an hour.
- In the mean time those salty grains might finish loosening the sticky dandruff from your scalp.
- Finally wash your hair thoroughly with the mild shampoo
- Repeat this remedy 2 to 3 times a week until you achieve the desired results.
No 9: Tea Tree Oil
Tea Tree oil is the nature’s gift for all those who are seeking the home remedy for their dandruff issues. Anti bacterial and anti fungal properties found in the tea tree oil make it more effective in treating dandruff related issues.
- Take 4 drops of tea tree oil, 1 tbsp of lotion. Mix it well with your regular shampoo.
- Apply this mixture on your scalp and leave it for 30 minutes.
- Rinse off your hair thoroughly.
- Repeat this remedy on every other day until it subsides dandruff and bacterial infections.
No 10: Hot Oil Treatment
Hot oil treatment is a healthy and simple way to get rid of dandruff fast. No one will have objection for oil treatment.
- Heat a cup of almond, mustard or castor oil and allow it to cool down.
- Massage on your scalp and cover your head with warm towel.
- After an hour, rinse your hair with the mild shampoo
- To make it most effective, finish it with a lemon hair wash which is revealed at 4.
No 11: Onion
As Anti bacterial properties found in onion acts effectively on the micro organisms, this remedy will work on anyone even with the severe symptoms.
- Take the required amount of onion and make a fine paste.
- Apply it on your scalp and cover your head with the plastic wrap.
- Leave overnight and wash your hair with the mild shampoo.
- Repeat this on every night until it subsides dandruff completely.
This same remedy can also promote your hair growth when it is done twice a week.
No 12: Herbal Treatments
Herbal treatment is widely followed by homeopaths. Holy basil is acknowledged for its medicinal profit. Apply a pack of Indian gooseberry and holy basil and leave for an hour and rinse it with water.
No 13: Olive Oil
Olive oil is very beneficial for your skin and hair. It’s a great moisturizer that can restore the lost moisture to your scalp.
- Take a regular olive oil or extra virgin olive oil and heat it to the bearable temperature.
- Apply it on your hair and massage with your fingers for 4 to 5 minutes.
Repeating this remedy thrice a week will help you achieve a shiny, healthy and of course dandruff free hair.
No 14: Aloe Vera
Aloevera is a magical plant which acts as a life saver to your skin. It’s the reason why it is being used in almost all kind of cosmetic products.
- Take the fresh aloevera gel extracted from the plant and apply it on your scalp.
- Cover your head with some wrapper. Rinse off your hair after 30 to 60 minutes.
If you are unable to get raw aloevera, buy some aloevera gel from your local drugstore and use it to get rid of dandruff.
No 15: Beet
Origin of this remedy is not known clearly but it works effectively on treating dandruff.
It seems to work best in getting rid of dandruff. Cut the beets into small cubes and make it boil for 20 mins. Let it cool down completely. Wash your hair thoroughly with this mixture.
- Instead of using Beetroot water to rinse your hair, you can either directly apply beetroot juice on your scalp or can mix it with few drops of vinegar which adds extra power to combat dandruff. Apply the beetroot juice in anyone of the forms and wrap your head with a towel around it. Leave over night and wash your hair in the following morning.
No 16: Garlic
You can see this remedy in almost every list that suggests how to get rid of dandruff fast.
- Take 2 gloves of garlic and mix it with 1 tbsp of lemon juice.
- Grind it well and make a thick paste. Apply it on your scalp and leave for 30 to 40 mins.
- Only downside to this remedy is, it creates some unpleasant odor. So rinse it off with the mild shampoo and cold water.
No 17: Honey, Yogurt & Lemon Hair Mask
If you have gone through all of the remedies listed here, you must have known that how lemon and yogurt helps in getting rid of dandruff. Our third ingredient honey has many beneficial properties and is been used in many skin care recipes. But its role in this mask is, balancing the moisture wiped out by the lemon’s citric acid.
If your hair is very dry in nature, try adding the almond oil to this hair mask which provides the nourishment.
- Prepare a fine paste with 1 tbsp of lemon juice and 2 tbsp of garlic powder
- Apply it on your scalp for 30 to 40 mins. Rinse it off with the mild shampoo and cold water.
No 18:Hibiscus Leaves and Flowers
Red hibiscus flower and its leaves are really effective in treating dandruff. In addition to that it adds volume to your hair.
- Take handful of hibiscus flowers, leaves and boil for 30 minutes. Let it cool down naturally to the room temperature.
- Take the boiled flowers and leaves, blend it well and make a fine paste. Apply it on your scalp, give a gentle massage.
- Leave it for an hour before you step into the shower.
- Repeat this remedy thrice a week until your dandruff disappears.
No 19 : Hot Coconut Milk
Coconut milk is a very effective remedy for dandruff.
- Take 1/2 cup of coconut water and micro wave it for few minutes. Apply this hot coconut milk on your scalp and leave it over night.
- Wash your hair with the mild shampoo in the following morning.
- Repeat this remedy for thrice a week to get better results.
N0 20: Pepper Mint, White Vinegar and Green Tea Rinse
The combination of pepper mint oil, green tea and white vinegar can act as an effective remedy to get rid of dandruff fast.
- Take 1 cup of green tea, 1 tbsp of white vinegar and few drops of pepper mint oil into the mixture. Damp your hair with this mixture and let it dry on your scalp for 5 minutes.
- Finally rinse off with the mild shampoo and conditioner.
- Repeat this every day until dandruff disappears.
Part 2 : Day To Day Habits
Bade A Good Bye To An Obsessive Hair Wash
It’s really important to keep your hair clean and vibrant through hair washes. Keep it in mind; you can wash your hair thrice a week not more than that. When it is done obsessively harmful chemical ingredients, especially lauryl sulfate found in the shampoos can dry out the natural moisture in your scalp which results in the annoying dandruff.
If you are currently suffering from dandruff, wash your hair everyday only until the flakes subside.
Your Dandruff shampoo needs At least 5 Mins to Work
If you want a quick remedy and so chosen dandruff shampoo to get rid of dandruff fast, shampoo your hair and Let it work on your scalp for at least 5 minutes of time.
Brush To Distribute the Natural Oil throughout Your Scalp
You shampooed your hair and shower is done. What is next? Brush your hair with the wide comb from the scalp to downward and Brush all over your scalp too. It will help you distribute the natural oil and this plays a key role in preventing dandruff.
You are what you eat. Avoid eating excess of sugary foods and fast foods especially when you are in the process of getting those itchy dandruff out.
Avoid or Manage Stress
Stress is something that is unavoidable for every living human. It’s good to avoid the stress causing situations. If it’s inevitable then learn the stress management techniques. Stress plays a major role in triggering dandruff and many other serious illnesses.